Cleaning up around the kiln I noticed something odd. The cord had been touching the side of the kiln as we had to move it over slightly since the last firing to make room for another outlet.
This being a blog about success AND failure I decided not to save face and post this as a warning. I have the recommended 12 inch clearance on all sides as well as adequate ventilation when firing. But this time I neglected to look at the cord after moving. Don’t burn your house down! If I can help prevent one accident it is well worth the embarrassment.
I rigged up an interim solution using zip ties to keep the cord well off the shell this next firing and will move the kiln to a more suitable location after this bisque firing (It’s full at the moment).